This course is included in a Typsy Premium subscription along with 150+ other courses.
Working in a kitchen takes a lot more than just learning how to cook and plate the perfect dish for your customers. It’s about mastering cooking techniques, practice, and communication. Learning the basics of working in a kitchen will set you up for a successful career in the hospitality industry.
In this online course, Group Executive Chef John McFadden takes you through the basics of what to expect when working in the kitchen. You will be introduced to kitchen safety practices, basic knife cuts, and cooking techniques as well as the common tools used in a kitchen, how to control your stock, and how you can optimize your professional development.
What you'll learn in the Introduction to the kitchen course
- The importance of kitchen safety policies and procedures
- How to identify common hazards and how workplace injuries can be reduced
- How to establish expected personal hygiene practices and presentation standards to be in a kitchen
- The common health challenges and how to maintain your wellbeing when working in a kitchen
- Behaviors expected in a commercial kitchen
- How you can contribute to a positive kitchen culture
- The benefits of working well with others
- How to establish and strengthen interdepartmental relationships beyond the kitchen
- The roles and sections within a kitchen and how they report to each other
- How to receive and check goods
- The importance of stock rotation
- How to hold and use each knife
- The five dry heat cooking methods and what food it is best used for
- Tips for when you communicate with others
- The top five tips from an executive chef to drive your development
Who the Introduction to the kitchen course is for
This online course is ideal for any kitchen staff member, kitchen hands, entry-level cooks, and anybody interested in learning the fundamentals of working in a commercial kitchen.
Meet your instructor
13 lessons included in this course
Prove you’re job ready
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass the quiz.
- Earn a digital badge that you can print or share on
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dream a reality.
How courses work
Start a course to master new skills in your chosen specialist area. Work through a series of topic-focused lessons at your own pace, and pass the final quiz to earn a digital certificate that proves your expertise.
Join a 10-day trial
Begin a free trial where you get access to all courses, quizzes, and certificates that you can complete anytime during the 10 days. Cancel anytime with no charge.
Watch all the lessons
Complete all the lessons included in the course. Each lesson is generally 3-5 minutes long.
Pass the quiz
At the end of each course is a quiz. The quiz will test that you have retained the key learning outcomes in each course.
Earn digital badges
Receive a digital badge for every completed course that you can download and share with your professional network.
Become an expert
Use your specialist training to build confidence, progress further in your career, or build expertise in areas you're passionate about.
All Typsy courses are endorsed by the Institute of Hospitality
Typsy courses have been endorsed by the Institute of Hospitality which demonstrates the courses:
- Adhere to good practice standards in training and training delivery
- Are relevant to the needs of the industry
- Meet a wide range of essential criteria relating to quality standards and quality learning outcomes
What to expect when you learn on Typsy
Your learning, your rules
- Courses are split into lessons that you can complete as quickly or slowly as you like.
- Learn through a mix of bite-sized videos, downloadable resources, and practical activities.
- Stay motivated by using the progress page to keep track of your step completion and assessment scores.
Join a global classroom
- Experience the power of social learning, and get inspired by an international network of learners.
- Share ideas with your peers and course educators on every step of the course.
- Join the conversation by following us on social media and replying to comments from others.
What our members are saying
"I especially love how crisp and easy to follow these courses are."
"Been loving Typsy so far! It was honestly like love at first sight, with the plethora of informative courses at my fingertips in such high quality and certified instructors. I especially love how crisp and easy to follow these courses are, whether you're a novice or an expert... Highly recommend Typsy to everyone who's a part of the hospitality industry."
"It assisted in sharpening and updating my current skills."
"I have been using the Typsy online training platform since April 2020 and have found it to be very informative, simple, and it provides hands-on, practical skills that I have been able to immediately implement at my accommodation facility. It also assisted in sharpening and updating my current skills to enhance my guests' experiences in the future."
Included in Typsy Premium
Start learning today - with your free 10-day trial.
After your free trial you can:
- Pay per year to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Learn at your own pace
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network