This course is included in a Typsy Premium subscription along with 150+ other courses.
Hospitality is continually evolving. Innovation and creativity drive this industry and keep it vibrant and exciting.
But there are some aspects of the industry, especially in service, that have become common etiquette - rules, almost. These fundamentals of outstanding table service remain as relevant today as ever, and they constitute an essential skill set for every server.
Kate Edwards is a renowned hospitality consultant and educator. In this restaurant server training course she explains some of the longstanding conventions of the hospitality industry, and shares her tips for working as a server in a restaurant with confidence and professionalism.
What is table service?
Table service is a term used in the restaurant industry that describes a type of hospitality service where customers or guests are seated at tables and served by waitstaff. Table service involves customer and waitstaff interaction, which offers a more personalized dining experience for customers.
What you'll learn in the Table service fundamentals course
- Restaurant terminology and common table service etiquette
- How to interact with customers in a restaurant
- How to serve food correctly
- How to hold a tray
- How to carry multiple plates
- How to clear plates
- How to handle silverware and china
- How to handle glassware in a restaurant
- How to serve water to guests
- How to serve alcoholic beverages and pour drink
Who the Table service fundamentals is for
This online course is ideal for beginners looking to develop an understanding of the fundamentals of the service industry. More experienced restaurant workers will learn how to polish their skills through Kate's expert tips for showing elegance and expertise tableside.
Servers, it's time to learn the skills you need!
Meet your instructor
14 lessons included in this course
Prove you’re job ready
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass the quiz.
- Earn a digital badge that you can print or share on
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dream a reality.
How courses work
Start a course to master new skills in your chosen specialist area. Work through a series of topic-focused lessons at your own pace, and pass the final quiz to earn a digital certificate that proves your expertise.
Join a 10-day trial
Begin a free trial where you get access to all courses, quizzes, and certificates that you can complete anytime during the 10 days. Cancel anytime with no charge.
Watch all the lessons
Complete all the lessons included in the course. Each lesson is generally 3-5 minutes long.
Pass the quiz
At the end of each course is a quiz. The quiz will test that you have retained the key learning outcomes in each course.
Earn digital badges
Receive a digital badge for every completed course that you can download and share with your professional network.
Become an expert
Use your specialist training to build confidence, progress further in your career, or build expertise in areas you're passionate about.
All Typsy courses are endorsed by the Institute of Hospitality
Typsy courses have been endorsed by the Institute of Hospitality which demonstrates the courses:
- Adhere to good practice standards in training and training delivery
- Are relevant to the needs of the industry
- Meet a wide range of essential criteria relating to quality standards and quality learning outcomes
What to expect when you learn on Typsy
Your learning, your rules
- Courses are split into lessons that you can complete as quickly or slowly as you like.
- Learn through a mix of bite-sized videos, downloadable resources, and practical activities.
- Stay motivated by using the progress page to keep track of your step completion and assessment scores.
Join a global classroom
- Experience the power of social learning, and get inspired by an international network of learners.
- Share ideas with your peers and course educators on every step of the course.
- Join the conversation by following us on social media and replying to comments from others.
What our members are saying
"I especially love how crisp and easy to follow these courses are."
"Been loving Typsy so far! It was honestly like love at first sight, with the plethora of informative courses at my fingertips in such high quality and certified instructors. I especially love how crisp and easy to follow these courses are, whether you're a novice or an expert... Highly recommend Typsy to everyone who's a part of the hospitality industry."
"It assisted in sharpening and updating my current skills."
"I have been using the Typsy online training platform since April 2020 and have found it to be very informative, simple, and it provides hands-on, practical skills that I have been able to immediately implement at my accommodation facility. It also assisted in sharpening and updating my current skills to enhance my guests' experiences in the future."
Included in Typsy Premium
Start learning today - with your free 10-day trial.
After your free trial you can:
- Pay per year to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Learn at your own pace
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network