Diversity is an important element to consider when cultivating a strong staff. Equity and inclusion is about fairness and representation on a society-wide scale, of course, but it’s also about creating inclusive environments at every level of daily life. And a diverse team of people with different backgrounds, skill sets, interests, and knowledge means you’re better prepared for any challenges that come along.
Inclusivity and equity are key aspects of a safe and comfortable working environment, but most of us develop unconscious biases that may hinder that - even if creating a positive work environment is an explicit goal. It’s vital that we don’t shy away from recognizing these unconscious biases, and instead learn how to identify them in ourselves and others so that we can take action and effect positive change.
In this course, Dr. Debra Blair, Director of Organizational Diversity, Equity & Inclusion in the School of Tourism and Hospitality Management at Temple University, will talk about how and why you can develop a diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace environment, and ultimately benefit your staff, your guests, and your bottom line.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
- The best way to understand equity and inclusion, and how to develop your awareness of diversity issues
- How management can make positive changes to achieve diversity, equity, and inclusion at work
- The far-reaching benefits of diversity in the workplace
- What unconscious bias is, where it comes from, and how it can affect ourselves and others
- How to identify and change your personal biases
- How to identify the personal biases of others, and how to deal with them
- How to lead with inclusivity
This course is ideal for anyone in the hospitality industry who wants to learn more about what diversity means and how to create an inclusive workplace culture.