This course is included in a Typsy Premium subscription along with 85 other courses.
WARNING: THIS COURSE CONTAINS REFERENCES SOME VIEWERS MAY FIND DISTRESSING. These include references to terrorism, violence, weapons, and suicide. If you need support at any time, please contact a colleague, manager, or find a phone or online helpline near you.
Workplace violence can be a little confronting to think about, but whether you’re the ‘face’ of your company or work behind a kitchen door, it’s a scenario we should all be prepared for.
Being able to recognize and respond to active shooter incidents will allow you to work with confidence and feel empowered to take charge of your environment. If an incident does occur, you’ll know what to do to keep yourself, your colleagues, and your guests safe.
In this course, you’ll learn some early warning signs of potentially violent behavior including strategies for preparing and responding to incidents, as well as skills of prevention, detection, response, and recovery.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
- The meaning of ‘soft targets’
- The meaning of ‘active shooter’
- Types of possible threats
- The 4-main factors of extreme violent acts are
- Common behaviors or signs of a violent mindset
- How to report suspicious behavior that poses a threat
- How to demonstrate basic security tips
- How to prepare yourself to run, hide or fight during an active shooter attack
- The policies and procedures available or required for employers and employees
- What to expect from law enforcement and medical services at the scene
This course is aimed at front of house and operations employees.
Meet your instructor
Todd McGhee is an international speaker on counter-terrorism and violent extremism.
12 lessons included in this course
Prove you’re job ready
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass the quiz.
- Earn a certificate that you can print or share on
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dream a reality.
How courses work
Join a 10-day trial
Begin a free trial where you get access to all courses, quizzes, and certificates that you can complete anytime during the 10 days. Cancel anytime with no charge.
Watch all the lessons
Complete all the lessons included in the course. Each lesson is generally 3-5 minutes long.
Pass the quiz
At the end of each course is a quiz. The quiz will test that you have retained the key learning outcomes in each course.
Earn digital certificates
Receive a certificate for every completed course that you can download and share with your professional network.
Become an expert
Use your specialist training to build confidence, progress further in your career, or build expertise in areas you're passionate about.
All Typsy courses are endorsed by the Institute of Hospitality
Typsy courses have been endorsed by the Institute of Hospitality which demonstrates the courses:
- Adhere to good practice standards in training and training delivery
- Are relevant to the needs of the industry
- Meet a wide range of essential criteria relating to quality standards and quality learning outcomes
What to expect when you learn on Typsy
Your learning, your rules
- Courses are split into lessons that you can complete as quickly or slowly as you like.
- Learn through a mix of bite-sized videos, downloadable resources, and practical activities.
- Stay motivated by using the progress page to keep track of your step completion and assessment scores.
Join a global classroom
- Experience the power of social learning, and get inspired by an international network of learners.
- Share ideas with your peers and course educators on every step of the course.
- Join the conversation by following us on social media and replying to comments from others.
What our members are saying
"I especially love how crisp and easy to follow these courses are."
"Been loving Typsy so far! It was honestly like love at first sight, with the plethora of informative courses at my fingertips in such high quality and certified instructors. I especially love how crisp and easy to follow these courses are, whether you're a novice or an expert... Highly recommend Typsy to everyone who's a part of the hospitality industry."
"It assisted in sharpening and updating my current skills."
"I have been using the Typsy online training platform since April 2020 and have found it to be very informative, simple, and it provides hands-on, practical skills that I have been able to immediately implement at my accommodation facility. It also assisted in sharpening and updating my current skills to enhance my guests' experiences in the future."
Included in Typsy Premium
Each course consists of a number of 3-5 minute lessons and a quiz. When you successfully pass the quiz you will earn a digital course certificate.
Yes! Every Typsy course includes a digital certificate that you can download or share online. To earn a certificate you must successfully pass the course quiz.
No! Each course is 100% online. You can login at anytime and learn at your own pace.
Typsy Premium provides you with full access to the Typsy platform. You can access and watch any of our 85+ courses. Typsy Free provides limited access to the Typsy Platform and includes access to 30+ courses.
Your free trial of Typsy Premium is valid for 10 days. You can cancel at any time during your trial and you won't be charged.
Start learning today - with your free 10-day trial.
After your free trial you can:
- Pay per year to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Learn at your own pace
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network